Smolare is located at the foot of the mountain Belasica at an altitude of 360 meters. The village belongs to the Municipality of Novo Selo, on a distance of 26 km from Strumica, and only 9 km away from the border crossing „Novo Selo“. The river Lomnica passes through the village, which flows into the river Strumica, part of the Aegean catchment area.
The name of the village derives from the word – “Smolar”, which means a man who collects resin. For the first time in history, this village is encountered in the population census in 1519. There were two old maple trees around 30 meters tall in the middle of the village earlier, while today there is only the younger maple tree whose age is estimated at 300 years. Earlier, on the river Lomnica or Smolarska there were six watermills, while today there are only two. Two fountains are popular here: Baba Treninata and Trajkovata. The total population in Smolare is Macedonians by nationality of Orthodox Christian religion.
The village is known all over Macedonia and farther, after the Smolare Waterfall (39.5m), which is the largest constant waterfall in Republic of Macedonia. The waterfall represents an enormous tourist potential and attracts a large number of visitors. The Smolare waterfall is located above the village Smolare, and to get to the waterfall you need to climb 300 steps. The waterfall was founded on the river Lomnica, on the mountain Belasica, at an altitude of 630 meters. At the bottom of the waterfall a giant pot is found whose length in the direction of the flow of river water is 5 meters, its width is 11 meters, while the depth is around 0.5 to 0.7 meters. The water of the waterfall is white from the fast flow on the river Lomnica, and it particularly comes to the fore because of the dark rock of Belasica. At the bottom of the waterfall is a trace, which according to the legend belongs to the horse of King Marco, Sharec, that stayed here to rest, the so-called Marko’s leg. The church “St. Troica” in the village was built in 1872 and has a wonderful wooden iconostasis, with beautifully-made imperial doors, a cross on the top of the iconostasis and bishop's throne. The church was painted by Grigorij Pecanov from Strumica in 1897. The frescoes of this church are well-kept. On them we can see scenes from the Bible: The Birth of Jesus Christ, The Last Supper, Capturing Jesus Christ, The Crucifixion of Jesus Christ, The Death of Virgin Mary, a scene with the poor Lazar. The roof of the church was destroyed during the bombing of the village by the Bulgarians in the World War II, because of which the church was exposed to external atmospheric influences and because of that, some frescoes were partly destroyed. The church has frescoes on the external façade as well, but they are in bad condition. The village celebration is always on a Monday.
The village does offer private accommodation, several owners of private houses rent rooms. The village has two beautiful restaurants too. One of them – “Lebedovo Ezero” is at the beginning of the village, with more than one hundred chairs and a small lake in the middle. The second restaurant “Atlantis” is among the village and the Smolare Waterfall, ideally integrated into the forest ambience.