The village of Mokrino is located on the mountain Belasica at an altitude of 370 meters. The village belongs to the Municipality of Novo Selo and is 22 km from Strumica. This village is part of the so-called under-mountain villages or foot of the mountain, and is only a few kilometers away from the borders of Bulgaria and Greece.
According to the legend, the village got its name from the word – mokro (“wet”), after the wet field and the swampy places in its area.The village is mentioned as Mokrino for the first time in the edict of Dejanovikj and their mother Evrodika between 1377 and 1378, when the village was given as a gift to the Holy Trinity Monastery “St. Pantheleymon”. However, the village was inhabited since Roman time and the witness for that is the settlement – Keramidarka, here can also be found the archeological site Kraj, which represents a necropolis from medieval time.
The village is famous for the events that happened here during the Battle of Belasica on 29th of July, 1014. The historians believe that the decisive battle among the armies of Tzar Samuil and the Byzantium tzar, Vasilij II, occurred between today’s villages Mokrino and Mokrievo.
After the Byzantium army broke the defence of the hill, the Macedonian soldiers scattered and gave into a panic escape, but were later caught by the Byzantium army in Mokrino and here the battle occurred, in which the army of Tzar Samuil was catastrophically defeated.
The village of Mokrino has a few houses with old village Strumician architecture, which gives us an idea of what the village looked like in the past. The village has several localities that represent tourist potential. Above all, here we are referring to the Mokrino Springs, the church “St. Constantine and Elena” and the locality “Pirgo”.
Mokrino Springs are located at the foot of the mountain Belasica on an altitude of 330 meters, nearby the village of Mokrino. The water flows from the roots of centuries-old maple trees, with a capacity of 60 liters in a second and impresses with its clarity. In the immediate vicinity of the spring a watermill is located, which was used actively in the past. Each 2nd of August, the Ilinden meetings are held on the springs, when sacrifice (“kurban”) is given to all visitors. This custom is done in honor of Water, because once in the past when the custom was interrupted, the water stopped. Next year, after the slaughter of the ox, the water from the springs flowed again on the 4th of August. Since then, a sacrifice is given every year with no exceptions.
The locality “Pirgo” represents a tower from the medieval period, which gives an overview of the whole Strumica field. Today, this site is arranged with accessible paths and a bridge, and a memorial plaque is also set in honor of the Belasica battle. Here, it is believed that after the battle three trees were planted, one of which still survives. At this place, on the 10th of August each year, a meeting is held with the performance of dancing folklore groups and popular singers in the presence of numerous visitors.
The village celebrates the 3rd of June as a village holiday, in the honor of “St. Constantine and Elena”. The church “St. Constantine and Elena” is located in the village, built in 1876, thanks to the local population with their voluntary contributions and actions. The church has a wood iconostasis with beautifully made imperial doors and a cross on the top of the iconostasis. It is painted by a painter from Melnik at the time it was erected. The liturgical service was performed here in Greek language, due to the strong patriarchal movement. The name of the saints of on the frescoes was written in Greek, therefore during the Second Balkan War, when the Bulgarians conquered this region, the Bulgarian soldiers with their shields erased the Greek letters. The Bulgarian commander who did this work, as elderly people from the village say, remained mute and deaf as God’s punishment for this crime. Even after the burning of the candles in this church by the father of the commander after a few years, the commander could speak and hear again. The church is one of the most beautiful ones in the area of Strumica from the 19th century.
The village does not have an accommodation capacity, but has one restaurant, “Panorama”, located in the beginning of the village. This restaurant with its traditional architecture and wonderful yard, is a pleasant place for stay.